Is it just me, or did January feel like it was an entire goddamn year-long already?!! One thing that jumping into the firestorm that was January is it makes you realize how important it is to FOCUS.
And, if you’re anything like me, it makes you realize just how F*ing HARD it is to focus at times.
Yes, I’m sure you’re all shaking your heads and saying “WHAT? Ms Mile-a-Minute, batshit cray has trouble focusing??? Nooooo”
Legit. I do. I’m not coy about my abilities, but I’m annoyed if anyone dismisses me and makes references to it being easy.
And since here at c+p, our boundaries around oversharing are shot to hell already, I want to share a deeply ‘WTF?!’ story about myself and how I focus.
When I was a kid, I was always really bad at sports. Like, exceptionally bad at sports. 😭 I was neither good at catching NOR was I good throwing. No. Wait. I could throw (because let’s be real, how hard is it to throw?), but what I couldn’t do was quickly craft a strategy as to WHO I SHOULD THROW TO FIRST!
It’s Not You it’s Me…Ok, Maybe it’s You Too
Maybe it sounds like I’m over-complicating a simple game of ball. But that’s how my mind works I’ve realized. And become not only forgiving, but appreciative of it. But at the time all I saw was that I was the world’s worst thrower, because I just couldn’t make a snap-choice as to who would capitalize most were I to throw to them.
‘Just fucking throw, Susan.’ Yes! I hear you; now in retrospect.
It sounds ridiculous to even write it down but work with me here. I’m getting to the POINT!! 😆
I came to realize the problem wasn’t the sport – it was really ME – the fact that there were too many moving targets – and I couldn’t FOCUS. I mean, my brain is thinking “On the one hand – SHIT – do I pass it here? Do I throw to her? Why not her, over there?? Should I aim there? Or aim over there?
And aiming takes me to when I started to figure out my problem – because while I couldn’t see through the fog in my brain that was too many choices, too many moving targets, what I could do was…wait for it, this is good…shoot guns!
Yep, I’m not nearly️ as insubstantial as I look. Here’s the backstory. In university, I was in a pre-army regiment in India called the National Cadet Corps. And, we learned many skills including, duh, shooting rifles.
As I learned more and more about handling guns and actual shooting, I found I was actually quite good at it. Like, hitting the bullseye two times out of three level good.
And BOOM 💥 💥💥 revelation time. Give me one hard thing to focus on and I WILL KILL IT! (Er, literally ;))
Focus Baby, FOCUS!
You’ve gone through January – shaken off the holidays (blues? BLOATS?) – and now it’s time to think about shaking up your marketing. New Business Year, New Business You and all that resolution’y crap, yes?
(Disclaimer: c+p digital HATES resolutions. 😁But meaningful, focused improvement? We’re all over all shizz)
Ok. Now, I’m at THE POINT! 😂😂😂
Focus is KEY. But where in the *H.E. Double hockey sticks* do you start??
Here’s the hottest new trend.
Here’s the coolest new marketing pathway.
Here’s the next great social media platform…
software to buy…
gear you should have as marketers…
The snake oil is thick.
And that which is not as greasy is HEAVILY geared toward enterprise-level companies with huge budgets! (I’m not sure who that is because most of our large clients are agile AF but that’s a whole other discussion.
As small businesses, we all want better marketing, but let’s be real! What’s achievable is limited but full of promise, if you FOCUS.
So, I am here to help you focus.
And, ever cognizant of people’s 💸 💸 💸 AND ⏰ ⏰ ⏰, we’ve mapped out five marketing things that will help you get focused heading deeper into the new decade and the coming spring (yes, PLEASE, can it come already!)
A) User experience in your digital presence: This is what’s going to keep people coming back to you!
- Start with housekeeping. Make sure everything in your bag of marketing tricks is functioning properly – links, forms, technology, payment gateways.
Ensure you have clear CTAs on all your content.
Make content small and bite-sized where there is space for that – it takes ten steps to guide a customer to actually buy – don’t put ANY roadblocks in their way!
- Personalization is important! Your web people can help you with this – using tagging, categorizing, etc. in your content, to your specific target audience definition will help you get found in searches. Or think about chatbots and retargeting. The big boys like Amazon, etc., are great at personalization – and it doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg to integrate personalization into your marketing.
- Make mobile EASY. We’re all always on our phones, searching and buying, make sure your mobile sites are optimized for purchasing!
- Strong creative is key. Your ideas matter, whether images, branding, or each content piece.
Also, make sure your online experience is really well designed!
B) Stories and Micro Content:
- Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook stories, TikTok, there are myriad micro platforms out there you can explore! Pick one and keep at it. Trust us, it’s helped us increase our reach from the tens to the thousands.
- Microcontent leads to the micro-conversion idea! Putting your content into smaller pieces increases the chance potential customers will invest in the steps needed to get to a conversion. People are busy – micro content means less pressure on yourself to create and less pressure on them to commit!
- Micro content allows you to create more content/more regularly.
- It reaches a younger audience, allows for a more casual and less-censored view of your brand.
- And finally, disappearing versions of micro content can help create a feeling of FOMO around your brand making for extra desirability levels.
C) Audio and Voice Search: Voice search today makes up 20 percent of all searches – and it’s projected to go even higher – reaching 50 percent soon! Think voice activated assistants, speakers, etc. So, what does voice search have to do with your marketing? A LOT.
- Make sure your content is optimized for voice search by using language that can answer longer, more conversational queries (also known as longtail keywords in SEO speak) – have your web guys help you with this.
- Also, JUST. ALWAYS. create conversational content! Answer questions and think about what Jane Public would be googling/speaking to the speaker about.
D) Channel Disruption!!: We all know it’s harder to stand out these days – so let’s shake things up in 2020! Think about how you can UP your visibility online and stand out from the madding crowd! Consider each platform – examine what content is considered the norm – and then turn it on its head! Don’t be afraid to have fun and start small! Visuals RULE, so use them!!
E) DIY Video: Yay cell phones! DIY video saves you money and time.
- Don’t try and be fancy and perfect with your video. Keep it real, but not your bedroom or trash bin in the background. Think brand image. Even if you’re a tiny brand.
- And yes, while it’s important to do live video at times, create a mixture of live and pre-recorded. The latter allows you to repurpose on other channles, or edit if that’s your jam. (Lives can be downloaded too.)
- And keep ‘em short when you can (see above re: micro content).
- Don’t forget to ALWAYS use good light, peeps! 😂 😂 😂
Look, we’re only one month into 2020 – don’t burn yourself out – if you still find this overwhelming, we can help you. Click here to explore what services we can bring to your marketing table this year!